Chimneys have been part of our homes for centuries and a culture of chimney sweeping has developed since. Hundreds of years ago, small children climbed up chimneys to make sure the pathways were clear of soot, making sure that smoke had no obstacles as it went up the chimney. Cardinal Chimney Sweep is proud that we no longer depend on child labor to do our job, now relying on trained adults who are specialized in chimney sweeping. The most important aspect is making sure there are no obstacles in the way of the smoke so you can light your fire with tranquility.
Clearing Smoke Pathway
With use, chimneys can get clogged with creosote, otherwise known as soot. Soot is a highly flammable material. If there is an over-accumulation of soot in your chimney, you may be at risk of getting an in-chimney fire that may spread into your house or overheat your walls. Clearing the smoke pathway of soot and other debris that may have accumulated in your chimney ensures you can light a fire without worry. Our chimney sweeps will make sure your chimney is clear.
Preventing Illnesses and Allergies
It is lovely to light a fire throughout the winter season. If you use your fireplace often or at all, we recommend calling on our team at Cardinal Chimney Sweep to get a chimney sweeping. Smoke and soot can accumulate inside the walls of your chimney. Over time, this accumulation can create noxious gases and carcinogenic particles that could affect your family’s health and cause illness or allergies. By keeping the airway of your chimney clear, you are also ensuring smoke never concentrates in your house, thus keeping all family members safe while still enjoying a sit near the fireplace.
To an untrained eye, a dirty chimney looks very much the same as a clean chimney. It is difficult to distinguish between a black wall, burned from the fire, and accumulation of soot. That is why we recommend getting a chimney inspection every season before you begin to use your chimney. This way, you can make sure that your air pathway is clear and that smoke will be sucked up the chimney from the air pressure, and not forced out towards your house. Our team has year of experience checking chimneys for soot and other obstacles that could cause your chimney to malfunction.
Chimney cleaning is not a mess-free job, we admit. Even though we try hard to vacuum any debris we find when cleaning and sweeping your chimney, it is inevitable that some smoke or dust may fall in the surrounding areas. For this reason, our team is prepared with plastic coverings to protect your furniture and home while we clean. We are also committed to cleaning up any mess we leave after we’re done, whether its some ashes on the floor or dust accumulation over the plastic coverings. Part of doing a quality job is ensuring that we clean up our mess.